Follow Tmuffin:

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Sweet Potato and Caramelized Banana Pancake Recipe


Caramelized Bananas (make these first)



bananas caramelizing in pan

2 bananas, peeled and sliced
4 Tbsp butter
1/8 cup maple syrup
1/8 cup brown sugar

Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. When butter is melted, add maple syrup and brown sugar, and stir until melted and liquidy. Add sliced bananas in a single layer. Let the bananas cook and caramelize for 8-10 minutes. Flip, and cook on other side for about 5 minutes. I let them do their thing while I prepared the pancake batter, and didn't pay attention to time at all. I just let them get nice and soft and brown. Divide bananas. Save half of your bananas for a topping. The other half will go in your pancake batter.



caramelized banana topping

Pancakes

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons brown sugar
Pinch of cinnamon
2 cups 2% milk
1/2 of the caramelized banana mixture from above, mashed
1/4 cup plain yogurt
5 teaspoons melted butter
2 eggs
1 sweet potato

Wash your sweet potato and pierce with fork. Microwave for 6 minutes or until soft, flipping it halfway through cooking. Let cool, then peel and mash with a potato masher or ricer.

In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients (all-purpose flour through cinnamon). In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients into your mashed sweet potato. Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. (I found I had to break up the pockets of flour that formed so I could mix it in).

Cook your pancakes over medium heat in a skillet, griddle, what have you.



pancakes cooking on griddle pan

Top with the caramelized bananas you saved, maple syrup, and voila:


mmmmmmm......

2 comments:

asecurebase said... Best Blogger Tips

I made this and really enjoyed it. Thanks! I didn't have any butter (opps..) so I subbed canola oil for butter in the pancakes which worked well and coconut oil for the butter with the bananas which tasted nice but didn't really caramelize. My family still wants to have them again!

Tmuffin said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm so glad you liked them! I just made them again last week, and I used baby food instead of fresh sweet potato! I love that we can make these substitutions and they still taste great.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...