Follow Tmuffin:

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sundried Tomato and Spinach Pesto Recipe

I've been doing a lot of grocery shopping at Costco. I can get organic food there for really great prices. And it helps me eat more vegetables, because I get such a huge amount of them and I hate for them to go bad. So it's veggies veggies veggies at every meal.

Last night I was looking for an easy, quick meal, and this one came to me. I basically threw what I had left of a giant pack of baby spinach, the last of a bag of pine nuts, some sundried tomatoes, and kalamata olives into the food processor and used it as a sauce for spaghetti. Oh, and I topped it all with goat cheese. Yum. It was amazing.

Now, I don't normally measure ingredients when I cook. Even when I use a recipe, I just eyeball it or use what I have available. But I know that freaks some people out, so I've attempted to write the recipe using exact measures. But feel free to go off-roading, if you will.

Sundried Tomato and Spinach Pesto with Spaghetti
3 cups baby spinach leaves
3/4-1 cup sundried tomatoes packed in oil
1/8 cup pine nuts
1/8-1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives (that means pits removed. Confusing, I  know.)
salt to taste
basil and oregano to taste (I used dried, but wish I had fresh)
squeeze of 1/2 a lime
any kind of pasta
1 tbsp butter
goat cheese

Put sun dried tomatoes and kalamata olives in food processor and pulse a few times. Add spinach leaves and pine nuts, and process until it has a paste-like consistency. There was enough olive oil in the sun dried tomatoes that I didn't feel the need to add any more. It melts a bit once you add it to the hot pasta. I would wait until you have added it to your pasta to add more oil. Taste it and add salt if you want to. At this point, I felt like it needed some kick, so I squeezed about half a lime into it. It added some bite without tasting limey at all.

Cook your pasta (I combined spaghetti and penne). After draining, add butter to pot and heat until slightly browned, and then add the pasta back into the pot and toss. Add pesto mixture (I only used about 1/2 of the pesto and froze the other 1/2 in a plastic baggie). Toss on low heat until pasta is coated.

Serve in bowls with goat cheese crumbled on top.

I couldn't take a picture because I ate it too quickly. Sorry.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...