Follow Tmuffin:

Friday, April 9, 2010

VEGGIE CHRISTMAS (Week 1)


Our Weekly CSA Delivery

Every Wednesday from April to July, we celebrate Veggie Christmas. Through our CSA at Black River Organic Farm, we get a big box of vegetables. Organic, locally grown, in-season vegetables. We don't know what we're going to get until the box comes, so opening it is like Christmas. Every week. Last year, Big T named it Veggie Christmas. And he doesn't even like vegetables that much. That's how amazing it is to get fresh, harvested-that-day vegetables. If you thought you knew vegetables, think again. This is not your grocery store organic produce. This is fresher than fresh, colorful, crisp veggies. It may be one of my favorite parts of spring.

There are times when I have no idea what to do with all of the veggies. There are times when I have to go online to research what a particular veggie is, because I've never seen it before. There are times when I have to research what recipes I can make with a turnip, or an English pea, because I've never used that veggie before. But, as you know, I love the creative process. I love making new, unique dishes. It keeps me on my toes.

It's also surprisingly affordable. I try to keep to a strict budget. I'm not made of money. We pay up front for the whole season, and it comes out to about $17 a week. For all the organic veggies you could ask for for an entire week, that's an unbeatable deal. And we're supporting a local farm--all the better.

This week we had a pretty light box. We had a relatively cold winter for NC, so the initial growth is starting off a little slow. But I'm pretty sure we have enough lettuce to last us for 2 weeks. On the day I bring home my box, I wait to open it up until I'm in the house. I usually open it, smile and squeal, and recite the contents as I pull each item out. I have a lot of work to do on Wednesdays. I like to wash all the lettuce and greens, dry it, and store it in ziplocs between paper towels to keep it fresh and to have it ready when I need it. (It's a good thing K-38 Baja Grill is across the street from the coop where I pick up the box has $1 taco night on Wednesdays, so at least I don't have to worry about cooking that night!)

This week we received:
  • A huge head of green leaf lettuce
  • A large head of bibb lettuce
  • 2 quart sized ziplocs filled with baby spring greens
  • A bunch of radishes
  • 1 garlic bulb
  • A bunch of cilantro
And this is my menu for the week:

Thursday:
Lunch - green leaf lettuce salad with radishes, cucumbers (store bought) and cilantro. [Cilantro really livens up a salad and adds a note of unexpected freshness to it] I had this with leftover soup from dinner earlier in the week.
Dinner - Spaghetti with Roasted Radish Greens, Garlic and Vodka Sauce, bibb lettuce salad with cucumbers. [As I was eating the bibb lettuce I thought it would be delicious with japanese carrot ginger dressing. Mmmm...note for next week.]

Friday:
Lunch - same as yesterday
Dinner - grilled chicken, grilled asparagus (store bought), big salad (possibly with grilled lettuce)

Saturday:
Lunch - Spinach Dip with Radishes, homemade bread
Dinner - Grilled eye roast, homemade bread with garlic roasted on the grill, big salad

Sunday:
Dinner - Seared Scallops with Spicy Honey-Citrus Glaze, Cilantro Rice and a bed of wilted greens

Monday:
Lunch - salad
Dinner - Open Faced Tostadas with [leftover] Eye Roast and Garlic/Cilantro Salsa

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...