Follow Tmuffin:

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Getting Things Done in 15 Minutes - Gardening

Remember when I told you my yard was like a jungle and I was working on it 15 minutes at a time? That was a little more than a week ago. Now I'm sitting here getting excited about all the fall vegetables I have going.

Some great vegetables for fall gardening in coastal North Carolina are:
  • lettuce
  • kale
  • spinach
  • broccoli
  • cauliflower
  • radishes
  • carrots
  • sugar snap peas
So that's what I'm growing. I have some before and after shots here, so you know this is all possible. I also had a little fairy come in and rebuild my raised bed for my long veggie garden. That helped.

The long veggie garden before:
 

The long veggie garden after the visit from the garden fairy:


Peas growing in the long veggie garden (next to the sage: the only survivor from the previous season). I planted Spinach and cauliflower in front of the peas and dill and cilantro alongside of them:


Corner garden with hibiscus plants before:


Corner garden after:


Other corner garden semi-before (The real before picture really looked like a jungle. This is after I did a lot of work, but there were still some weeds in front, and the door to the bird house fell down).





Here is that corner garden afterward. (Note the butterfly bush that was transplanted behind the bird house. It's not doing too well, but I'm hoping it will come back to life in the spring.):

Don't be fooled. That digger didn't do the work.

The boxes for more veggies to the right of that corner garden:

And the door to the bird house was fixed (by the garden fairy).



In the box from left to right: Radishes that I planted 2 weeks ago, lettuce, broccoli, kale, and carrots. That's a fig tree in the pot on the left, and nasturtiums are planted in the terra cotta pots.



And this is how I got it all done:

Little M loves hanging out in the Ergo

I gave Baby T some nails to hammer into a board while I worked. He wore his bike helmet.
The giraffe somehow got left out on the driveway.

This is my next project--the side yard. I would love a huge veggie garden with little paths going through it, and a bench and little space for Baby T to hang out. Our front yard is a big, hot mess with grass that doesn't grow (because I don't water it) and no trees. It's just waiting for something to be done to it.



Stay tuned this week for a post on Green Baby Diaper Service's blog about fall gardening, with tips from local organic gardening store Progressive Gardens!

For more tips about preserving your harvest, gardening, and more, check out  

1 comments:

Country Gal said... Best Blogger Tips

Could you send that little fairy my way? I have quite a long garden to do list! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...